Thursday, April 22, 2010

Omens

I have been reading this book about omens called The Alchemist. It has gotten me to thinking about some of the omens in my own life. Or what I perceive as omens. A couple of days I got a really bad feeling about Spinster. Nothing had really happened. But I was suddenly nervous to call her or text her. I called and left a message and she never responded. Yesterday, I sent a text and she responded back that she had gotten the voicemail but was at her sister's and then it was late. She said she was sorry. That was it. I have probably started 10 times to write a text back to her but nothing has come. I guess it's cause I am delaying the inevitable. I already know in my heart that Spinster is done with me. I talked to littlebrother about this once and he was of the opinion that this is bullcrap. That I am getting nervous because of something in my own head. He believes there is no such thing as omens.

As I look back at my dating life, I can't think of a single bad omen that I have felt that didn't turn out to be true. You could argue that they are self fulfilling prophecies but I disagree. I got a bad feeling about a girl and a day or two later, she would call me and tell me she just wasn't interested. How is that a self fulfilling prophecy?

I have had a strange omen about Pulse lately. Today she got on facebook and told me that she has been talking to her ex and might start seeing him again. She felt compelled to tell me. I kinda already knew. I expected it to be a little more harsh than that (because Pulse said she still wants to date me) but the omen was correct. You can disagree with me about whether omens are real or not but I think you need to have read the book before you formulate your arguments. Should I put more weight on omens? In other words, should I start following my gut more?

7 comments:

  1. Unless you have major trust issues... follow your gut. It's usually right. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Liz:

    So you think that we can receive omens about what we are supposed to do?

    Love Tripp

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think members of the church might get all freaked out by the word "omen". it sounds like you are getting inspiration of sorts. i believe in getting "omens" as you described them. you could also chalk it up to finely honed intuition based on your vast dating experience. which "the alchemist" are you reading? i looked it up and there are at least 3 different books by that title-i am interested to see what one you are reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear singlemormonchick:

    Jill is right. The book is by Paolo coelho. It really got me thinking. Especially since yesterday I received a text from Spinster saying she wasn't interested in me. I had already known. I had received some type of inspiration about it. I don't know if I want to chalk it up to "finely honed intuition." I think maybe I could sense her hesitance during the date. But it wasn't until a few days later that I started feeling like she wasn't interested.

    Love Tripp

    ReplyDelete
  5. maybe you are psychic! i kid. kind of. a little. maybe you are the rare man that really pays attention and you just process all the clues, like the hesitation on your date, and draw the correct conclusion.
    i am going to get the book-it seems really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. always follow your gut. there are soooo many times that i wish i would have followed mine, and im sure there are more to come. its always right, why else would you get that feeling? have you ever followed your gut and been wrong? neither have i.

    ReplyDelete